JN Boards: Official Pokemon Splice Topic - JN Boards

Read!

Here, you have the opportunity to have your graphics rated and critiqued by other users.

Important note:
If you are giving ratings, please say more than just "9/10! Great!" That does not help the designer improve at all and it also breaks the 5 word rule.

When rating a graphic, you should justify the grade you gave by mentioning the following things:

1) One or more things that you liked about the graphic.
2) One or more things that you disliked about the graphic.
3) Suggestions on how the designer can make their graphic better, or areas the designer should work on.

Constructive criticism is strongly encouraged, but please remember to balance that out with some positive praise. Harassment and insults are not tolerated.

If you are the one receiving ratings, then you should be prepared for the aforementioned constructive criticism. Other users are trying to help you, so be mindful of their advice!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Official Pokemon Splice Topic It's a pokemon splicing topic. and it's official.

#1 User is offline   Dark Heric 

• JN Devotee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Active Members
  • Neo Name: hereicomenow
  • jnAccount : Hereicomenow

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

The last one was locked a while ago, So I will revive it using two pictures I created earlier.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3674/archevine.th.png
Archevine, and

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8273/venorona.th.png
Venorona

#2 User is offline   Spherical Ice 

• JN Forum Stalker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

They're not good. By any standards, they're not good, sorry. First and foremost, they have been resized. Never EVER resize sprites. Save them at x1. If you want to make them bigger so you can see them, use MS Paint's zoom tool.

Secondly, they've been saved in the file format .JPG. This leaves the nasty, gritty look that means you can now no longer edit the sprite as the colours have been ruined by what is known as JPG artefacts. Always save as .PNG, it retains the quality of the sprites and keeps solid colours solid.

On the Venerona sprite, you've used red and black on the head. It doesn't look good at all, as the red is in a place that would be a highlight normally. Light doesn't work like that - it doesn't leave red highlights on black surfaces. You should shade the area beneath head of the Venonat, as it doesn't look connected to the rest of the body, and should technically cast a shadow, if you bear in mind the rules of lighting. Furthermore, anatomically, the wings look completely dysfunctional. They are far too large and go as far as the "tail" of Volcarona's body, which wouldn't happen.

Archevine is slightly better, but it has been badly tacked together and clearly hasn't had any real effort put into it. The vines don't make a logical transition from the fur and just "stop," the arms come out of it's neck and the whole sprite doesn't seem to have a specific form. There are some light source contradictions also - the "arm" of Carnivine is being lit from the top-right, but most of the sprite is being lit from the top-left (the correct lighting position, according to the canonical spriting style of the Pokémon series). This is a result of you simply copying, pasting and flipping the "arm."

The arms would be highly impractical and would be of no use. They have no real extension from the body.

Anyway, I guess you don't really take spriting seriously so I don't mind if you tl;dr this crit, but yeah, it's there.

Here's a link to my post in the old thread which shows some of the older fusions I've done. I haven't really made any recently, so sorry :P

#3 User is offline   Dark Heric 

• JN Devotee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Active Members
  • Neo Name: hereicomenow
  • jnAccount : Hereicomenow

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

I saw those, and they are good, but how long did you have to practice to manage to make those? I'm not an expert, nor do I do this for a living.

Now what about this one?

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/31/starmiepinsirsplice.png

#4 User is offline   Joey the Innovator 

• Man of Destiny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Neo Name: krawky398
  • jnAccount : krawky398

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Eh. I did quit the Gen. 5 onwards fandom, but I suppose I could make a splice or two for old times sake.

Until then, please enjoy my first splices from three years ago. Just please, ignore the last one. It makes me want to vomit, knowing I can make something that awful...The third, I'm not proud of either. But meh.

#5 User is offline   Milazatron 

• φ(..)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: milaza
  • jnAccount : Winter_Knight

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

I like the first two. Is Gastrob a mixture of Ghastly and?

#6 User is offline   Mabel Pines 

• magical girls represent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • jnAccount : awesomemoe

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

View Postmilaza, on 13 October 2011 - 12:21 AM, said:

I like the first two. Is Gastrob a mixture of Ghastly and?

I'm pretty sure it's Ghastly and Voltorb. I like it.

I think the Archevine one is pretty cool, even if it needs to be cleaned up a bit.

#7 User is offline   Kuzuryuu 

• SHSL Fancy Suit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

I'm terrible at splicing. I usually just swap the colors of two Pokemon. My worst would have to be the color switch I made of Emolga and Sandile. They both look terrible, but Emolga looks like someone threw a bucket of pink paint at it's stomach. I only het half the blame though. The colors just arent compatible enough to make it look very good.

On the topic of Ice's sprites: I couldn't figure out the 3rd and 11th ones on the top row were. I think the 3rd one is Munchlax and something, right? And the 11th looks like Treeko.

On the topic of Heric's sprites: That's probably better than mine. I once made "Quilavamphirogunkmeleon". It was a mixture of Quilava, Amphiros, Crogunk, and Charmeleon. I forgot how it turned out, but it probably wasn't good. I'll try to find it sometime.

If someone would tell me how to put my sprites on the internet, I could show you some of my color-swaps and "Quilavamphirogunkmeleon". In the meantime, I'll be practicing my splicing abilities.

#8 User is offline   Clouds 

• Oracle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staffers
  • jnAccount : the_cloudy_sky

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

View PostSilents, on 14 October 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

If someone would tell me how to put my sprites on the internet, I could show you some of my color-swaps and "Quilavamphirogunkmeleon". In the meantime, I'll be practicing my splicing abilities.

To put your sprites on the Internet, you have to upload them to an image hosting site. The most popular ones are Photobucket, Imageshack, and Tinypic. (I suggest Tinypic, because Photobucket requires an account and it's a bit tricky to get Imageshack's image URLs.) They should be easy enough to use, but if you need any help with the uploading process, read this guide.

#9 User is offline   Kuzuryuu 

• SHSL Fancy Suit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thanks Clouds!

First off, I didn't have as many as I thought I did. Second, I made them all on the same page, so it'll take a while before you can see very many. I did manage to get Quilavamphirogunkmeleon and a Nidoran(Male)-Toxicroak color swap.

http://i54.tinypic.com/mrpk7.jpg
Quilavamphirogunkmeleon: Not good in itself, but it's pretty good for a first try, right?

http://i55.tinypic.com/2dbs1nk.jpg
Nidoran(M)-Toxicroak Color Swap: This is my best color swap so far. Then again, I only did 11/2 others.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users