• This topic is locked

Shoutbox Rules

#1 User is offline   Terry 

• Forever Awesome
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Programmers
  • jnAccount : Terry

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Since it seems as if the rules we've set previously for the shoutbox don't work, we've decided to create a new set of rules.
  • Member Harassment
    • Any form of harassment from one user to another is not tolerated. JN believes that our members are responsible enough to conduct themselves in a professional and friendly manner, and that they are able to be nice to one another. If you harass another member or staff member, you will be banned from the Shoutbox for at least 24 hours and your warning level will be increased by 10%.

• Bypassing Word Filters
    • Again, we do not tolerate bypassing word filters. This includes using asterisks or other symbols which, although are an attempt at obfuscating the word, still allow users to determine what the original word is. The use of obvious synonyms of a filtered word is also not allowed. Bypassing the word filters will result in a 24 hour Shoutbox ban and a warning level increase of 10%. Continued bypassing of word filters will result in a permanent ban from the Shoutbox.

• Using Filtered Words
    • We also do not approve of the use of filtered words. (This is a site with visitors under the age of 13, after all.) Use of filtered words will result in a 24 hour Shoutbox ban and a warning level increase of 10%. As with bypassing word filters, continued use of filtered words will result in a permanent ban from the Shoutbox. If it is determined that the filter was triggered inadvertently, you will neither be banned from the Shoutbox nor have your warning level increased.

• Two Word Rule
    • If your shout is shorter than two words, it will be deleted from the Shoutbox. (In other words, your shout should have a length of greater than or equal to two words.) Continued violation of this rule will result in a 10% warning level increase and a 12 hour ban from the Shoutbox.
      Please note that both must be actual WORDS. Acronyms, chatspeak, and smilies do not count.

• Three Shouts In A Row
    • If you post more than three shouts in a row, your additional shouts will be deleted from the Shoutbox.

• When To Report A Shout
    • Obviously, you won't be warned for doing this. :P If you see any sort of harassment or rule violation, especially for word filters, in the Shoutbox, please send a Private Message over to the Moderator Team or the Administrator Team.
Please also take this time to review the forum rules, which we have conveniently linked for you here.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Sincerely,
The JN Admin Team

#2 User is offline   -pat 

• The BasedGod
  • Group: Elite Members

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Do numbers count as words?

#3 User is offline   Google 

• *creative member title*
  • Neopets: *classified*

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

View PostLemon Lloyd, on Mar 2 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

probably not, unless they are spelled out.

#4 User is offline   warpoid 

• JN Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

Bypassing Word Filters
Again, we do not tolerate bypassing word filters. This includes using asterisks or other symbols which, although are an attempt at obfuscating the word, still allow users to determine what the original word is. The use of obvious synonyms of a filtered word is also not allowed. Bypassing the word filters will result in a 24 hour Shoutbox ban and a warning level increase of 10%. Continued bypassing of word filters will result in a permanent ban from the Shoutbox.

Therefore, we're not allowed to acronym swears anymore?

#5 User is offline   Clockworthy 

• Winter is Coming
  • Neopets: the_academy_awards
  • jnAccount : the_academy_awards

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

View PostWarpy, on Mar 2 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

Bypassing Word Filters
Again, we do not tolerate bypassing word filters. This includes using asterisks or other symbols which, although are an attempt at obfuscating the word, still allow users to determine what the original word is. The use of obvious synonyms of a filtered word is also not allowed. Bypassing the word filters will result in a 24 hour Shoutbox ban and a warning level increase of 10%. Continued bypassing of word filters will result in a permanent ban from the Shoutbox.

Therefore, we're not allowed to acronym swears anymore?

We couldn't on regular boards before.

#6 User is offline   Chris_ 

• Fanboy of Men
  • Neopets: paper_oblivion
  • jnAccount : Roxas_the_Poet

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

So wait.. we can't use things like 'lmao'? o-O

Okay, that is kind of... odd to me :l

#7 User is offline   Kaliet 

• I'ma space cowboy.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: Kauaimon

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

I like these rules, but yeah, isn't 'LMAO' okay? I don't use it, but is that okay?

#8 User is offline   Grog 

• Your angry eyebrows are making everything you say terrifying.
  • Group: Retired Staffers
  • jnAccount : Grog

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

View PostPatches, on Mar 3 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

I like these rules, but yeah, isn't 'LMAO' okay? I don't use it, but is that okay?

It seems fairly obvious (to me, at least) - you would be warned for writing out what that acronym means, so you should be warned for writing the acronym. I mean, I assume you do know what it means and don't just go around using acronyms for the sake of using acronyms.

It might lead to a terrible case of RAS Syndrome.

(Yes, I did it on purpose).

#9 User is offline   sagekid 

• member title
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: overahurdle
  • jnAccount : sagekid

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

I dont think it should be used.Younger kids use this site to.

#10 User is offline   Chris_ 

• Fanboy of Men

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

Younger kids will not understand the acronyms unless they /already/ know them.

#11 User is offline   JoeyMcFun 

• JN Loyalist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Active Members
  • Neopets: dude__32

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Younger kids will not understand the acronyms unless they /already/ know them.

Yeah, but then they'll ask someone, like their parents, and JN will be in trouble!

#12 User is offline   Chris_ 

• Fanboy of Men

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

View PostJoeyMcFun, on Mar 3 2009, 09:28 PM, said:

Yeah, but then they'll ask someone, like their parents, and JN will be in trouble!

So? It's the Internet. Parents better be expecting their kid to run into 'something' on the world-wide web. This is no shelter.

#13 User is offline   King Tom the Fabulous and Manly 

• Manly Man

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

View Postroxas, on Mar 3 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

So? It's the Internet. Parents better be expecting their kid to run into 'something' on the world-wide web. This is no shelter.

But neither is this a battlefield. The new rules make sense and I think that you could figure out what the swearing acronyms mean easily.

#14 User is offline   Terry 

• Forever Awesome
  • Group: Programmers
  • jnAccount : Terry

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

View PostArjay, on Mar 2 2009, 02:32 PM, said:

View PostLemon Lloyd, on Mar 2 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

probably not, unless they are spelled out.

If they're spelt out to fulfill the two word minimum, they will not count as words.

View PostPatches, on Mar 3 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

To be honest, LMAO is used so often on the internet that I feel the acronym is not really a swear.

View Postroxas, on Mar 3 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

We can be as close to a shelter as we can -- which is why these rules exist. Keep in mind that it's not only you that visits the forums -- many others do, including individuals who may not wish to be exposed to vulgar language.

#15 User is offline   Chris_ 

• Fanboy of Men

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

View PostKatniss, on Mar 3 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

But neither is this a battlefield. The new rules make sense and I think that you could figure out what the swearing acronyms mean easily.

There is no reference to battle, Katniss. I'm speaking of how JN is not some site that will keep kids shielded from the world, from reality. People in real life use swearing. Actual swearing, and it can't be stopped.

Here, we /used/ to use acronyms to cover it up but send a message of what we mean to send without disturbing children. Trust me, unless you have some idea of what 'lmao' means, you would never get it as a child unless you ask someone else, which parents should expect from other people across the world to use acronyms. It's clean enough, and it hurts no one. If parents don't want their kids to know, they should just not explain it.

And yes, I think these rules are slightly unfair to some of us who like to use acronyms that may represent a swear or two.

I also want you to remember: just because Neopets is a kids' site does NOT mean that all people on it are under 13. I know a lot of adults on it. So don't keep saying that JN is a kids' site just because they are a fanbase for Neopets. JN has adults as well who are part of N.P., and they should be able to express themselves right here instead of being treated like kids.

Oh, I do agree with the harrassment one, though. :l

(sometimes, i don't make sense. sometimes, i do.)

EDIT: Terry posted before me ;=; I'm glad he doesn't consider LMAO bad, though :3

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users