So I was bored and figured I'd write my first tutorial =) Wasn't really sure what to do or what sort of tutorials people wanted, but hopefully it might help someone. Just a simple description of how I pixel neopets.
You can use any program that allows you to have multiple layers and vary opacity, I'm using PSP7 (I know, I'm so out of date). I'm assuming that anyone reading this knows the basics of their paint program, if you don't and would like me to add a bit about adding new layers then let me know, but I figured there wasn't much point putting in something that people probably already knew.
1) First off you need to choose your image. I chose one of a grey Kougra.
2) Next you need to create a new layer and fill it with white. Then lower the opacity to about 60%.
3) Now choose the colour of your outline, I went for a very dark grey. When you have the colour selected create another new layer and zoom in to your image. You then want to begin tracing the outline on your new layer. It works best if you do it one pixel at a time, rather than clicking and dragging, as you will get a neater line, but it's a thing of personal preference. The first preview below is from one pixel at a time, the second is from clicking and dragging.
4) When you have finished the outline you can zoom out to have a look.
5) If you then put the opacity of the white layer up to full you can see what your image looks like without the other image underneath it.
6) Now take the fill bucket and fill in the colours, this should be nice and quick.
7) The final stage is adding the shading, this should be pretty simple even if you don't know anything about shading, because you can just copy the shading on the original image.
And you're done!
I was feeling lazy when making this so I've not put that much effort in to it. When I do I will often gradient my shading. Instead of just have the normal colour and the shaded colour, I'll choose oneor two colours inbetween to make the shading look more gradual, as shown below:
There is a quicker way of drawing the outline, and that's by using bezier curves. I've not included that here but if anyone is interested I can add it, I tend not to use it because it looks slightly different, but I know some people prefer it.
If there was anything that was unclear or you have any questions then feel free to ask!
And I doubt anyone will actually use it, but if you do I'd love to see your pixels xD
Page 1 of 1
Pixel Your Neopet
Share this topic:
Page 1 of 1