JN Boards: The Anything You Want To Talk About Geek Thread - JN Boards

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Anything You Want To Talk About Geek Thread Anything about computers and stuff.

#1 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

It's been a few weeks and since I've got nothing better to do might as well get the proposed computer geek thread running. The big topic of interest that I hit last time is whether or not upgrading to Windows Vista/7 is feasible and here are my thoughts.

1. There really hasn't been any leaps and bounds in terms of consumer processing use. Basic web browsing (minus Adobe Flash and to a lesser extent massive JavaScript) is still highly possible on Pentium IIs and Pentium IIIs. Add JavaScript and a decent P4 will suffice...Adobe Flash just depends on the application sadly.

2. The cost of upgrading. Personally I could buy an upgrade for $20 but I rather use a clean install (in that the transition for some laptops isn't as clean as a desktop) which has no applicable discount...Especially on notebook computers.

3. The 'difficulty of use' of Vista/7's power management. While XP/2000 managed settings just fine Vista/7 require manual tweaking of power settings just to get it right. It might be just me, but I shouldn't have to tell the laptop it's on battery power to essentially switch it over.

4. Aero. For desktops it's a non-issue...But for laptops I'm not sure if the Aero-less basic interface uses GPU accelerator or not. Since Windows XP uses software rendering the GPU (if any) isn't disturbed in a power saving state.

5. Migration. Making sure older programs work under Vista/7 might be a burden. While it's not going to be evident on a consumer level it exists very well on the enterprise level in which a broken or nonexistent "mission critical" software will make transitioning a nightmare.

6. Mixed drivers. While video card drivers have reference model drivers for laptops for example there are probably many manufacturer specific drivers that will require their drivers to utilize certain functions. One example is an Alienware's ability to switch between GPUs while the other is a laptop that only could rotate between tablet mode and regular mode with HP's driver.

7. Windows Side by Side. Not only is it somewhat bloated but it takes up a massive amount of free space. While I have not checked Windows 7 it uses at least 5 or so GB on a Vista system. It's concept is good but the DLL 'issue' I have not come across in Windows XP in years. Unfortunately this is what happens when third party programs fall through the cracks and hit end-of-life in Windows 98 (SE).

Comments so far?

P.S. If one is using a 64-bit Vista/7, at least use 4GB to get it running smoothly. The 4:1 ratio exists in XP as well oddly enough.

#2 User is offline   hanky 

• I can change this now
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: ted_543
  • jnAccount : Peanut

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Honestly, at this point, you should be upgrading. XP became outdated in early 2007, and Vista became outdated in late 2009.
Programs are going to continue updating to better serve the majority of their users. No program that is consistently updated has compatibility with Windows 2000, or 98, or earlier.
Hell, windows 8 is in development now, and coming out late next year. I'd upgrade soon.
XP may offer some features that make using your computer more efficient for you, but sooner or later, very few, if any, programs will run on XP.
I use a Vista laptop running windows 7, and my essential programs do take up a few GB, it's not a lot in comparison to my harddrive.

#3 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

View Posthanky, on 01 October 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

Honestly, at this point, you should be upgrading. XP became outdated in early 2007, and Vista became outdated in late 2009.
Programs are going to continue updating to better serve the majority of their users. No program that is consistently updated has compatibility with Windows 2000, or 98, or earlier.
Heck, windows 8 is in development now, and coming out late next year. I'd upgrade soon.
XP may offer some features that make using your computer more efficient for you, but sooner or later, very few, if any, programs will run on XP.
I use a Vista laptop running windows 7, and my essential programs do take up a few GB, it's not a lot in comparison to my harddrive.

I should, but I don't have any computers that would be 100% capable of Windows 7 (one of which would recommend a new video card that's DX11 capable).

Windows XP and Windows 2000 are closely related...And a few programs like VLC and CDburnerXP still support 2000. Windows 98 is a totally different OS and yes it's obvious that its technologies aren't being written to (I still have systems that run 98 for nostalgic reasons).

In the future unless it's an online game older versions of programs aren't necessarily bad. In fact it's the opposite in that most of the software for my current laptop isn't written for 7...It's written for Vista. Although it's an XP laptop still running XP (as the CoA is XP Pro).

I have two games that eat up 35GB of my 120GB hard drive as well as 22GB of media. I've still got plenty of space.

#4 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

View Posthanky, on 01 October 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

Hell, windows 8 is in development now, and coming out late next year. I'd upgrade soon.

This XP system is my dad's computer, not mine. I would get a new computer, but again, IT'S NOT MINE! Everyone my dad talks to thinks Vista/7 is junk, so he doesn't see any reason to upgrade.

Honestly, though, all the programs still work on XP. By the time that they don't, this computer will have crashed. So it's a win/win for him.

But at least we use Windows 7 at the museum. The old computer there was a very old XP configured to look like Win2000. UGHHH!!!!!!

#5 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostChev, on 02 October 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

But at least we use Windows 7 at the museum. The old computer there was a very old XP configured to look like Win2000. UGHHH!!!!!!

I've ran XP on a Pentium I before...it was very nice.

Humorously Windows XP also has a Windows 98 theme built-in.

#6 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Actually XP is supported until 2014, no need to upgrade yet but you should. 2008 was the release of XP SP3 I believe. So not outdated yet. Same with Vista. As long as microsoft supports it, it is fine. Some retailers still sell Windows Vista preloaded.

#7 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

View PostiYoshinho, on 05 October 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

Actually XP is supported until 2014, no need to upgrade yet but you should. 2008 was the release of XP SP3 I believe. So not outdated yet. Same with Vista. As long as microsoft supports it, it is fine. Some retailers still sell Windows Vista preloaded.

XP is really almost ready for SP4 for crying out loud. Most of my testbeds see 111 updates (that's including .NET, 103 without) which is pretty large.

Not sure of any retailers right now. If they're brick and mortar retailers forget I asked.

#8 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

I would like to see XP SP4 because that is a lot of updates.

#9 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostiYoshinho, on 07 October 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

I would like to see XP SP4 because that is a lot of updates.

I would too although considering XP has already ended mainstream support it's not likely to happen.

But other than that, anything else on your mind Yoshi?

#10 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Yup Nachos and my gf are on my mind ;D

#11 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

View PostiYoshinho, on 07 October 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

Yup Nachos and my gf are on my mind ;D

I actually found Cookie Crisps™ wedged behind a friend's motherboard once.

#12 User is offline   Chev 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

That's really creepy. O.O All I end up finding are my mom's chips on the floor. She watches old TV shows on Netflix every night. Our computers multitask since we don't have cable. ^^ All our computers are old, but hey. :P

#13 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostChev, on 08 October 2011 - 07:23 AM, said:

That's really creepy. O.O All I end up finding are my mom's chips on the floor. She watches old TV shows on Netflix every night. Our computers multitask since we don't have cable. ^^ All our computers are old, but hey. :P

You'd be surprised how well an underclocked first generation Pentium M does with a gigabyte of RAM.

#14 User is offline   Chev 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostUser221, on 08 October 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

View PostChev, on 08 October 2011 - 07:23 AM, said:

You'd be surprised how well an underclocked first generation Pentium M does with a gigabyte of RAM.

Just because they're old doesn't mean they don't work. :ghostkerchief: Some work better than others, though. The old museum computer was hooked up today because we needed to take a disk out of the drive, which we succeeded in doing after:

• Waiting a millenium, only to have
  • 93 instances of Task Manager open on us, which
  • Froze the computer, making us have to
  • Restart
  • Then click the CD drive button 3 times.

#15 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

View PostChev, on 08 October 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

Just because they're old doesn't mean they don't work. :ghostkerchief: Some work better than others, though. The old museum computer was hooked up today because we needed to take a disk out of the drive, which we succeeded in doing after:

• Waiting a millenium, only to have
  • 93 instances of Task Manager open on us, which
  • Froze the computer, making us have to
  • Restart
  • Then click the CD drive button 3 times.

There's a difference between age and being poorly maintained...I still got a few Windows 98SE machines (Pentium I) that run great.

Although unless it's a slot-loading drive I just use a paperclip to eject the disk.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users