JN Boards: The Anything You Want To Talk About Geek Thread - JN Boards

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Anything You Want To Talk About Geek Thread Anything about computers and stuff.

#31 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

View PostChev, on 19 October 2011 - 12:03 PM, said:

View PostUser221, on 18 October 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

True, but most of the computers (if not all) that I bought new I still have.

Not all of us are like you. We use an old computer until it's so run-down that it's cheaper to buy a new one than to fix the old one. :P

I like how sentence one and sentence two contradict one another.

#32 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

View PostUser221, on 19 October 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostChev, on 19 October 2011 - 12:03 PM, said:

View PostUser221, on 18 October 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

True, but most of the computers (if not all) that I bought new I still have.

Not all of us are like you. We use an old computer until it's so run-down that it's cheaper to buy a new one than to fix the old one. :P

I like how sentence one and sentence two contradict one another.

I like how "all of us" wasn't supposed to include you. I'll be more careful to be more specific with my antecedents next time. ó-ó

#33 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

If it wasn't including me why would you add something that I still currently do...?

Not everyone is like User221. But I'm still doing what User221 is currently doing.

What I meant by 'new' wasn't specified in terms of date. I still have computers that are 8 years old that I bought new 8 years ago. They're still as obsolete as my used Pentium D I bought recently and in the long run since I hadn't encountered any major problems I haven't put a lot of money into them.

#34 User is offline   Chev 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

View PostUser221, on 20 October 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

If it wasn't including me why would you add something that I still currently do...?

Not everyone is like User221. But I'm still doing what User221 is currently doing.

What I meant by 'new' wasn't specified in terms of date. I still have computers that are 8 years old that I bought new 8 years ago. They're still as obsolete as my used Pentium D I bought recently and in the long run since I hadn't encountered any major problems I haven't put a lot of money into them.

Oh, I thought you meant, like, old Windows NT systems ans whatnot. xD This computer is almost 8 years old. We've had to replace the hard drive several times, and I reinstalled Windows once. It was custom built, though, and it has an awesome graphics card in it.

#35 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

View PostChev, on 21 October 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

Oh, I thought you meant, like, old Windows NT systems ans whatnot. xD This computer is almost 8 years old. We've had to replace the hard drive several times, and I reinstalled Windows once. It was custom built, though, and it has an awesome graphics card in it.

I have a few ThinkPad 760ELs I like to play with from time to time. Built 1997 and I got my first one in 2003. I've used DOS, 3.11, 95, 98SE, 2000 and XP on them (although XP has no graphic card support). I have one 1GB (real 1GB as in 2^30-1 and not in base 10) hard drive and a 4GB SLC SSD for it. I haven't calibrated the batteries for the SSD but it should be rather fun to do so.

It has a nice Pentium I 133 with 104MB of RAM. Yummy.

#36 User is offline   Chev 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

Nice! I think. I need to learn more about computers. :ghosty: I do mostly web design and graphics, though.

#37 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

View PostChev, on 23 October 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

Nice! I think. I need to learn more about computers. :ghosty: I do mostly web design and graphics, though.

Well any and all questions are welcome.

I haven't gotten around to web design much, I should though.

#38 User is offline   Dana Scully 

• It's funnier in Enochian.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

Really? Web design was pretty much the first thing I really learned about computers. I remember being five or six years old and teaching myself HTML. Of course, I was really into the marquee and blinking text at the time. xD

#39 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

View PostPascal, on 24 October 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

Really? Web design was pretty much the first thing I really learned about computers. I remember being five or six years old and teaching myself HTML. Of course, I was really into the marquee and blinking text at the time. xD

I grew up in a time where a computer was booted with a smiley followed by a backslash. :P

One of the things that I kinda leaned away from coding is that I saw too many Neopians that knew how to do art and code but had no idea how to maintain an operating system. It's just to me it's wiser to know the backbones and then know how to code...Stepping from one step to another (knowing how to use the basics and then shooting into advanced stuff).

#40 User is offline   Dana Scully 

• It's funnier in Enochian.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

So I guess you're older than I am. xD We got our first computer when I was 5, and it was an old one my aunt didn't want anymore so she gave it to us. It had Windows 95, I think. And with it, she gave us a whole bunch of manuals and books, one of which was about HTML. So I just kinda taught myself with that, since I thought it looked interesting.

So yeah, I learned that first cause I was too young to really care... I just thought it was cool that I could make blinding neon websites with blinking text and stuff. :P

#41 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

View PostPascal, on 24 October 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

So I guess you're older than I am. xD We got our first computer when I was 5, and it was an old one my aunt didn't want anymore so she gave it to us. It had Windows 95, I think. And with it, she gave us a whole bunch of manuals and books, one of which was about HTML. So I just kinda taught myself with that, since I thought it looked interesting.

So yeah, I learned that first cause I was too young to really care... I just thought it was cool that I could make blinding neon websites with blinking text and stuff. :P

Which is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just started learning how to use DOS and Windows 3.11 and apart from that how to clean it (it had an ATI graphics chip that would turn all the graphics 'purple' when it needed to be cleaned). Don't get me wrong, it's just when I talk about it most people tend to exaggerate and go into burn-in tests and hardware diagnostics I don't expect people to know a lot because it's just a pain and it is time consuming.

#42 User is offline   Chev 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

I was 5 when my parents got a new Gateway with Windows ME. I played games and drew pictures on it originally, then found Neopets and decided I wanted to be able to edit my petpage. I practiced and read lots of thick books, and made layouts for other people. Now, after doing a real website, I can't stand Neo-coders. @.@ Although I still am a fledgling at PHP.

I don't know very much about computers, but I know every corner of the Control Panel. I can re-install Windows and roll back the system and do all that stuff that leaves most other people staring blankly at me....

#43 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

View PostChev, on 26 October 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

I was 5 when my parents got a new Gateway with Windows ME. I played games and drew pictures on it originally, then found Neopets and decided I wanted to be able to edit my petpage. I practiced and read lots of thick books, and made layouts for other people. Now, after doing a real website, I can't stand Neo-coders. @.@ Although I still am a fledgling at PHP.

I don't know very much about computers, but I know every corner of the Control Panel. I can re-install Windows and roll back the system and do all that stuff that leaves most other people staring blankly at me....

Though to a certain extent the coding allowed on Neopets is pretty limited.

That's usually enough to suffice for all practical purposes.

#44 User is offline   Chev 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

View PostUser221, on 26 October 2011 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostChev, on 26 October 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

Though to a certain extent the coding allowed on Neopets is pretty limited.

That's usually enough to suffice for all practical purposes.

It's VERY limited. It's great that they've cut down on the depreciated HTML tags, but they don't allow enough of the CSS3, HTML5, or even CSS2. And it's especially annoying how they rearrange all your coding after you save. At least you can use "textarea" in its natural state now, though.

#45 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

I suppose so. I've only done basic HTML on pet pages since I'm all for "making it work" rather than "making it spectacular." Just personal preference.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users