• This topic is locked

Chrome Beats Ie

#1 User is offline   Barry 

• teeHee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • jnAccount : Bmwsu

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

Another score forGoogle Chrome. The latest version of the search giantís web browser just passed Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) to become the most popular desktop web browser in the world, according to statistics fromStatCounter, a digital analytics company.Chrome 15 now has 24.55% of the worldwide market, edging out IE8′s 22.16%. Mozilla Firefox 8.0 (the most recent version) is a distant third, at 15.53%. See the complete stats are in the table below.

The big qualifier: Weíre talking about specific browser versions. When all of the separate versions of IE are added together, it blows Chrome out of the water, 38.5% to 27.08%, with Firefox trailing closely at 25.55%. Chrome, however, is clearly the fastest growing ó almost entirely at the expense of IE.

Internet Explorer is the default browser on Windows machines, of course, which is why its market share is so dominant. IE8, released in 2008, was the last version of the browser to be compatible with PCs running Windows XP, the OS that preceded Windows Vista and Windows 7. Many older Windows machines still run XP, in turn fueling usage of IE8.

Although itís at version 15, Chrome is a relatively new browser, first launched in 2008. In that time, though, itís become very popular among the tech-savvy for its speed, spartan design and frequent, automatic updates. Those features have since been emulated by other browsers, including Internet Explorer.

StatCounter looks at page-view data from more than 3 million websites to assemble its statistics. Other services, such as Net Applications, look at unique visitors, and that data tends to show IE in a more dominant position. Net Applications clocks the current market share of IE (all versions) at 53%.

AmongMashablereaders, however, Chrome is king. Itís by far the most popular browser among people visiting the site, at 27.9%. Firefox is second at 22.4% and IE is in third place with 19.4%.MashableĎs stats include mobile browsers, though.

Source (With convenient chart.)

#2 User is offline   Joey the Innovator 

• Man of Destiny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: krawky398
  • jnAccount : krawky398

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

This is quite a good thing, as I do really like to use Chrome, unless it's for school, GPX+ mass clicking, or some extra tough video player ads must be blocked. Then Firefox is the choice.

IE must be beaten, though. It does not deserve that first place.

#3 User is offline   Monobear 

• ding don g that is wrong
  • jnAccount : mrmilkshakeman

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

I use IE and don't see anything bad about it.

#4 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

I find that to be slightly misleading as the 'latest' version of IE depends on the operating system. If I'm not mistaken Windows XP caps at IE8 while Vista caps at IE9.

#5 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

View PostMarceline, on 16 December 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

Its horrible trust me.

Startup takes a long time, not as secure as the other browsers and overall performance on the other browsers are really good.

I tried this with different versions of IE

IE6 on XP
IE7 on XP
IE8 on XP
IE9 on Vista and 7

Same startup slowness.

As for User221, I believe Microsoft will make one more IE for Vista. There will definitely be an IE10 for Windows 8 and possibly 7.

#6 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

View PostYoshi, on 16 December 2011 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostMarceline, on 16 December 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

Its horrible trust me.

Startup takes a long time, not as secure as the other browsers and overall performance on the other browsers are really good.

I tried this with different versions of IE

IE6 on XP
IE7 on XP
IE8 on XP
IE9 on Vista and 7

Same startup slowness.

As for User221, I believe Microsoft will make one more IE for Vista. There will definitely be an IE10 for Windows 8 and possibly 7.

IE9 has been out a while (Remember Vista originally shipped with 7) so the two upgrades for Vista have already been out. So as far as I know there are no more upgrades for Vista.

As for IE in itself I don't hate IE. Every browser has its flaws and some users will hit flaws with one browser and etc. In fact the biggest security holes are with Adobe Flash and Java (Minecraft anyone?).

Without knowing your hardware specs and how well your testbed is maintained does put the slight bias on your results.

#7 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Its horrible trust me.

I don't think so. And I don't like how people say its slow. it really isn't.

#8 User is offline   Vincent 

• Obviously a female

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

I'm actually only surprised it took this long. I've used IE, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. I've noticed that Chrome runs the fastest out of them all, but I use Firefox because I like the settings better. IE just runs slow, I am glad that it's starting to fall behind of the other leading browsers.

#9 User is offline   Rad Shad 

• Majestic Butterfly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: shadowaura256
  • jnAccount : shadowaura256

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

@Totoro It may not seem slow to you, but it does make a difference if you try other browsers. If you try chrome (do that), you'll find it's a lot better than IE

#10 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerdÖ from space!ô
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

Firefox and Chrome are the best I've used. I currently use Firefox because I like the extensive adblock, the colored tabs, the YouTube downloader, the WoT tool, etc. I can't stand IE, especially since I'm stuck with IE8 on this system. And another reason I use Firefox: I would rather support a non-profit organization dedicated to free software than either of the two giant mega-corporations who make the other top browsers.

#11 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostMarceline, on 16 December 2011 - 06:03 PM, said:

Its horrible trust me.

I don't think so. And I don't like how people say its slow. it really isn't.

Every person will have a browser that's slow. I've had people who state that Firefox is extremely slow on their system.

View PostShad, on 16 December 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

@Totoro It may not seem slow to you, but it does make a difference if you try other browsers. If you try chrome (do that), you'll find it's a lot better than IE

You've got computers that once they hit a certain point in power it's really negligible.

#12 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

That would mean other browsers work at hyperspeed or something! :P

#13 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostMarceline, on 17 December 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

That would mean other browsers work at hyperspeed or something! :P

Pretty sure the speed of the network never occurs to be noted when testing speeds of browsers. :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users