JN Boards: Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (Acta) - JN Boards

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (Acta)

#1 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Neopets: steven2010382

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Full article

Internet service providers could become copyright cops encouraged to block access to suspected pirate Web sites, according to a previously secret draft treaty made public on Wednesday.
One section of the proposed digital copyright treaty says that immunity from lawsuits would be granted to Internet providers "disabling access" to pirated material and adopting a policy dealing with unauthorized "transmission of materials protected by copyright." If the ISPs choose not to do so, they could face legal liability.

Both the Obama administration and the Bush administration had rejected requests from civil libertarians and technologists for copies of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, or ACTA. Last year, the White House went so far as to invoke an executive order saying disclosure would do "damage to the national security."

Full article

Turns out that the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) will include a section on Internet "enforcement procedures" after all. And how many people have had input on these procedures? Forty-two.

ACTA has worried outside observers for some time by threatening to delve into issues not normally covered by "trade agreements." Topping the list are concerns about ACTA's possible use as a Trojan horse to shove tough Internet controls onto countries like the US at the behest of Big Content. It's been hard to tell exactly what ACTA will include, though, because the process has taken place in such secrecy and even when information has been released, the section relating to the Internet has been empty.

But the secrecy wasn't total. Knowledge Ecology International (KEI) found out in September that the US Trade Representative's office had actually been secretly canvassing opinions on the Internet section of the agreement from 42 people, all of whom had signed a nondisclosure agreement before being shown the ACTA draft text.

After filing a Freedom of Information Act request (the names of the 42 people were considered a matter of "national security" and were not released voluntarily), KEI yesterday revealed the list of people who have had access to the ACTA Internet provisions. Here are the first 32 names, all of them people outside of USTR

Full article

ACTA, the secretly negotiated agreement to strengthen intellectual property laws and enforcement, will be signed on October 1 at a ceremony in Japan.
According to a press release from the Japanese government, signatories will include Japan, the EU, US, Australia, Canada, South Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore & Switzerland.

From the beginning, ACTA has been negotiated in secret with the public and consumer interest groups excluded while entertainment industry lobbyists have actively participating. The secrecy has even extended to prohibiting elected officials from finding out what their own governments were agreeing to.

Despite assurances by the negotiating parties that ACTA would not require changes to the laws of any participating country, every draft of the agreement which has been leaked have shown that to be absolutely false.

I can't believe this! Now they're trying to pass another SOPA clone through Europe?!
And keep in mind, this clone is international (currently) including: Australia, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Mexico, Jordan, Morocco, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, Canada, United States, the EU, Switzerland and Japan

Any UK residents on JNF,here is a petition for you to sign.
Also for you "tl;dr" crowd: A video explanation of ACTA

and finally

SPREAD THE MESSAGE!

I don't care how! Telling your friends and family in real life, Facebook, Tumblr, rant videos on Youtube JUST SPREAD IT!

#2 User is offline   Joey the Jojo 

• STAND PROUD
  • Neopets: krawky398
  • jnAccount : krawky398

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Oh my... This is awful... Horribly awful! This... This cannot be allowed to move forward... Yet, they negotiated it in secret, and it's already set to be signed... It's like SOPA but a hundred times worse...

#3 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostJoey the Newtype, on 21 January 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Oh my... This is awful... Horribly awful! This... This cannot be allowed to move forward... Yet, they negotiated it in secret, and it's already set to be signed... It's like SOPA but a hundred times worse...

Spread the news, we only have so much time.

#4 User is offline   Mabel Pines 

• yam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • jnAccount : awesomemoe

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

This is terrible. The more I read about it the worse it gets.

If it was so secret some of the elected officials didn't know much about it, who /did/ know? 42 people? It doesn't seem like everyone who should know fits in to that. This is ridiculous. Government is supposed to be a balance. Making it without senates debates because it's an 'agreement' isn't balanced at all. They say it doesn't change laws, but according to the articles it would. It doesn't even make sense for them to hide it due to national security, unless they were worried about being killed by the people who are against the bill. (most of the internet)

We definitely need to spread the word about this bill. I don't think very many people have heard of it, a lot more people on the sites I visit had stuff about SOPA, and there was only a little about ACTA. You should the petition if you can, and tell people about it.

#5 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Oh great. Do they really think they can censor the web??

#6 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Do they really think they can censor the web??

Hey the U.S. Congress not only showed they didn't know anything about the internet but some of them flat out admitted it.

What's not to say the European government isn't the same?

#7 User is offline   Monobear 

• ding don g that is wrong
  • jnAccount : mrmilkshakeman

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

This is confusing me. What is ACTA and how does it affect the internet?

#8 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostTotoro, on 21 January 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

This is confusing me. What is ACTA and how does it affect the internet?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/006/y-u-no-guy.jpg

WHY DIDN'T YOU READ THE THREAD

It's only 7 posts long!

#9 User is offline   Dodger 

• Agents are GO!!
  • Neopets: dodgerfan28
  • jnAccount : dodgerfan28

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

The video was great but Anonymous needs to shut up now. Anonymous is a hacker group that has managed to tick off many powerful people and it won't help us for a hacker group to talk about internet freedom.

I honestly hadn't heard about ACTA and I know a good deal about SOPA and Protect IP. This seriously is frustrating that we have to deal with 3 attacks at once. If any of these make it then I'm seriously considering not going to movies or buying MP3s at all except it probably wouldn't do any good.

I was worried before but ACTA cements that the entertainment industry means business and probably has been working behind the scenes for a long time before we heard of any of this.

Of course, despite the fact that I doubt Anonymous can do any good, they have been mentioning this since 2009 now that I do a bit more research on the subject. They really have been working behind the scenes for a while, haven't they?

#10 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Uh....Is it kind of like SOPA, but international or something like that? :gah:

#11 User is offline   Nasa 

• JN Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: nasa_guy1990
  • jnAccount : firestormcan

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Indeed it is, Totoro, but there's a couple more major disasters this agreement will cause:
- It blocks the sale of generic drugs, legit or not. That means getting the cheaper option for medicine manufactured by the same people, but under a store brand name, will be lost.
- It tightens the grip on the use of certain seeds meant for growing crops. You know what that means, right? Even less food going around.
Both are for the sake of patent protection. For large corporations. It goes far beyond SOPA and PIPA.

Not only is the internet as risk, our medicine and crop production would be but in a dangerous position. If you're in Europe, tell the representatives to stop this agreement. We cannot let these big money-grubbing hogs control what goes on sale and does not, not in this way.

#12 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

After seeing that Nasa, I'm really freaked out by all of this. :/ Its a little......destructive. :(

#13 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostTotoro, on 21 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Uh....Is it kind of like SOPA, but international or something like that? :gah:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/263/3/d/A_Winrar_is_you_by_winrarisyouplz.png

This seriously is frustrating that we have to deal with 3 attacks at once

Actually SOPA and PIPA have been put down but the question is for how long?
Some greedy and ignorant politician is bound to try again

The video was great but Anonymous needs to shut up now. Anonymous is a hacker group that has managed to tick off many powerful people and it won't help us for a hacker group to talk about internet freedom.

My biggest fear right now is that some politician uses Anonymous as cannon fodder in their arguments.

If they want to help, they need to do videos like the one I linked, it explained to me what this bill is while Tumblr alerted me of ACTA's existence.

#14 User is offline   Skyrunner 

• Why am I here...and why are YOU here?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: nyc_nature_girl
  • jnAccount : diana

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Bleh, if this gets passed, it won't be long till it's worldwide. I think 2011's freakish climate affected a few minds out there. I'm sorry, but what's with ACTA and SOPA/PIPA firing up again? Okay, fine. Limit all the copyright infringement going on, but when it comes to not letting people express themselves...no, just no.

This better not pass. Spread the word guys!

#15 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

I can't believe they're passing it, though. Just.....facepalm-ish.

BTW Steve, what the...... :smack:

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users