JN Boards: Mpaa Exec Admits: 'we're Not Comfortable With The Internet' - JN Boards

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mpaa Exec Admits: 'we're Not Comfortable With The Internet'

#1 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Neopets: steven2010382

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

There have been a ton of post mortems about the whole SOPA/PIPA fight, with many trying to figure out where and how the MPAA "went wrong." After all, this is a group that is very used to getting its way inside DC. And it got slaughtered. We've already discussed our thoughts on why the MPAA failed, but what stuns me is how every time someone from the MPAA opens their mouth, they seem to make the situation worse by demonstrating just how tone deaf they are to the online community and what their concerns were. Whether it's just blaming Google or thinking that the solution is more backroom dealing, each response just sounds like a group of people who are playing a different game, and still don't realize the rules have changed.

The Hollywood Reporter's version of the postmortem is a good read, even though it covers much the same ground as many other such recaps. Still, it's worth reading to get a good feel for Hollywood's view of the world. But the really stunning part is the quote from Michael O'Leary, the MPAA's number two guy, who makes what may be the most tone-deaf statement we've seen to date in this fight:
The MPAA's O'Leary concedes that the industry was out-manned and outgunned in cyberspace. He says the MPAA "is [undergoing] a process of education, a process of getting a much, much greater presence in the online environment. This was a fight on a platform we're not at this point comfortable with, and we were going up against an opponent that controls that platform."
Yes, even when he tries to say that they're trying to learn about that confounded internet thingy, he sounds ridiculous and dismissive. But the real point is his inadvertent admission within that statement: the MPAA (and the rest of "old" Hollywood) simply "is not comfortable with" the internet. And that's really what SOPA and PIPA were about. Rather than trying to understand this new platform, and learn from the many entertainers who do get the internet, they did what the MPAA does and simply tried to regulate that which they don't understand and fear.

Full Article

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs27/f/2008/090/6/9/CRY_SOME_MORE_by_Digicaek.png

Fill up the bucket with your tears tiny little man!

#2 User is offline   Dodger 

• Agents are GO!!
  • Neopets: dodgerfan28
  • jnAccount : dodgerfan28

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

They are really doing a good job of learning about it. No better way to learn about it then to control everybody!

#3 User is offline   Google 

• *creative member title*
  • Neopets: *classified*

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

typical aristocracy: dont like/know it, destroy it. http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/52.jpg

#4 User is offline   Joey the Jojo 

• STAND PROUD
  • Neopets: krawky398
  • jnAccount : krawky398

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

This was a fight on a platform we're not at this point comfortable with, and we were going up against an opponent that controls that platform.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/krawky389/716389c1fd40408c0dd070ebb2f08b02b40.jpg

I'm sorry, I had to note that. Implying someone controls the internet, that's just rich. Clearly, they aren't that far in their "education".

But yeah, I don't think we really even needed an article to know this anyway. But it gives us reason to bring it up, so an article is good.

#5 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR
  • Neopets: steven2010382

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostJoey the Newtype, on 28 January 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

This was a fight on a platform we're not at this point comfortable with, and we were going up against an opponent that controls that platform.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/krawky389/716389c1fd40408c0dd070ebb2f08b02b40.jpg

I'm sorry, I had to note that. Implying someone controls the internet, that's just rich. Clearly, they aren't that far in their "education".

But yeah, I don't think we really even needed an article to know this anyway. But it gives us reason to bring it up, so an article is good.

but I thought Timmy Turner owns the internet

I can't help but laugh at the irony of the comment (even if it is false) seeing how they essentially control Congress.

#6 User is offline   Grue 

• being zoroak is suffering
  • Neopets: benjpalmer2
  • jnAccount : benjpalmer

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

...Okay, someone really needs to confiscate their Idiot Ball.
Before it starts damaging other's intelligence.

#7 User is offline   Herobrine 

• No, no, no ladies and gentlemen this is my fear!
  • Neopets: otterwick

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

They let these people get their way in DC?

#8 User is offline   Mabel Pines 

• yam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • jnAccount : awesomemoe

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Why would you start a fight on something you know nothing about? It doesn't make sense. :/ I'm not sure how effective their 'internet education' is going to be. From the outside it could just seem like a huge group of people fighting and doing illegal things, but there's actually some really good friendships online. People who don't experience that side tend not to get it, and think everyone is terrible.

Being popular/widely used =/= controlling the internet. That's a pretty bad mistake. Maybe they'll learn that in their education.

... It's sort of funny picturing people going to work and lurking on the internet as part of their job to understand it better. XD

#9 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

I wouldn't consider them idiots I would just say that they're not really keen at adapting into a new marketing system. The media has still gone on the same track for the last however many years and nowadays it's just not going to cut it.

#10 User is online   Bjork 

• earth intruders
  • Neopets: trinston
  • jnAccount : Neotrinston

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/199/045/11395768.jpg

I'm not comfortable in this seat, but I'm living with it. Do the same, MPAA. ;D Deal with the mockery.

#11 User is offline   Kuzuryuu 

• SHSL Fancy Suit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostZoroark Claus, on 30 January 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

...Okay, someone really needs to confiscate their Idiot Ball.
Before it starts damaging other's intelligence.

At this point, I'm convinced that the government is not holding an Idiot Ball... The government is an Idiot Ball.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users