JN Boards: Facebook Parenting: For The Troubled Teen. - JN Boards

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Facebook Parenting: For The Troubled Teen.

#1 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Neopets: steven2010382

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

GUESS WHAT! IT'S NOT A THREAD ON BILLS ABOUT CONTROLLING THE INTERNET!

The video (Beware, language on the part of the daughter)

The Know Your Meme page which also has some video responses to this (possible language warning)

This is one of things that while I agree with one side that one side is just something I don't completely agree or approve of.
The more I think about the dad's actions the more I just dislike it.

Basically, right now, I just can't help but see it as this

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/248/120/80f.png

Discuss.

#2 User is offline   Milo 

• I post too much
  • Neopets: miloandfrisky

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yeah I thought this was funny at first and then I put thought into it. No wonder the kid's a brat; she must get it from her dad.

and the giant mob of Youtube commenters talking about how this generation is awful is sort of hilariously pathetic but mostly just discriminatory and offensive.

#3 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I spent some time lurking on The Escapist's thread on this subject and I found a pretty convincing argument in the daughter's case

Spoiler

I'm just finding this just to be another subject with no middle ground.

EDIT: oh my god, how did I miss the swearing.
EDIT 2: Okay, replaced the swearing with "[REDACTED]"
EDIT 3: Hey guess what, the filter still needs work

Mod Edit: Instead of replacing filtered words with "[REDACTED]"s, please remove them or replace them with appropriate words. Thank you.

#4 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Honestly for starters I've been through 12 years of public schooling. 99% of the stuff that I've learned observed is that most bad behaviors are done via a somewhat large network and usually at school where the parent cannot control it. With the way technology is advanced it is not real to expect a parent to teach a child in the 60% of the time they're not with them during weekdays (not particularly accounting for margin of error).

With that said on the argument you've posted about the daughter's case I can counteract really awesomely:

1. Privacy does not exist on the internet. If it's submitted online not only can anyone read it but it transfers through multiple computer systems until it reaches the destination. Humorously because some passwords (hint hint) are not encrypted they're sent as plain text. Ouch. With that said if it was stored on a isolated hard drive on a computer not connected to internet and he were to hack into that system I would understand it being an invasion of privacy...But she's 15. As far as I'm aware a parent has every right to manage their children until they move out.

2. The brute force mentality that existed 50 years ago doesn't apply today. That I will agree on. When it was do or die then it is not now (except for people growing food for subsistence).

3. The parents could easily charge rent if they were to to pay her for the chores she does. Considering it appears to be in a somewhat rural area (I don't know the laws about discharging a firearm in a city but I'm pretty sure it's not OK) allowances could be possible but I wouldn't see anything to spend on. Depending on how far the supermarket it just going there once in a while as it were would be sufficient to 'waiting for X amount of time.'

4. The Internet is not an appropriate measure to vent nor post personal information. Never was and never will be. Once online it's always online and I feel trivial outlets should be done in school or somewhere with her friends to where it won't get out of hand. While I'll agree two wrongs don't make a right it's not abusive.

I don't know, what you've quoted Steven is not bad, don't get me wrong. I just feel that person isn't exactly with us in the 21st century.

#5 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have seen this video, and I really don't know what to think of it. Help me out guys? Because.. on one hand, the daughter is not being appreciated for her chores being done and on the other hand, the father wasn't appreciated for fixing her laptop, camera, and I think $130? Soo not sure what to think of it.

#6 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hey don't get me wrong, I never said where I stand on what I quoted. I only stated it was convincing since it reminded me that we're not looking at the daughter's perspective of this.

1. Privacy does not exist on the internet.

Sir, I give you a high five for this.
I forgot about this rule of the internet but not only this but the fact she posted on Facebook of all things is just facepalm worthy

While I'll agree two wrongs don't make a right

THIS what I was looking for to describe my thoughts on this!

4. The Internet is not an appropriate measure to vent nor post personal information. Never was and never will be.

However, assuming the worst, it's the closest thing.
Thinking about it further, going by this, no appropriate measure to vent exists then.

I'd like to note that it seems like you didn't counter every point though.

Soo not sure what to think of it.

Welcome to the club.
Right now it's practically Evil vs Evil

#7 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

It amuses me how people think when they set some privacy settings on Facebook, they will think its as safe as government files. Once stuff is on the internet, it STAYS there no matter the condition.

#8 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostYoshi, on 11 February 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I have seen this video, and I really don't know what to think of it. Help me out guys? Because.. on one hand, the daughter is not being appreciated for her chores being done and on the other hand, the father wasn't appreciated for fixing her laptop, camera, and I think $130? Soo not sure what to think of it.

It's what we call a lose/lose scenario. No one wins.

View Poststeven2010, on 11 February 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Hey don't get me wrong, I never said where I stand on what I quoted. I only stated it was convincing since it reminded me that we're not looking at the daughter's perspective of this

Thinking about it further, going by this, no appropriate measure to vent exists then.

I'd like to note that it seems like you didn't counter every point though

You were leaning towards the middle. How you do that is awesome and I couldn't.

With that said I can easily think of a few ways. For one the father implies that his daughter has people she regularly talks to. Whether or not she goes to a public school or not I don't know but if she does go to a public school they could of easily done it without the usage of the Internet (heck they could of just used SMS for all practical purposes). Don't get me wrong if there's something I want to tell me friend I usually do it face to face or over a phone. Of course this assume people are willing to downgrade to something less convenient and more secure. You know how that goes, right?

#9 User is offline   steven2010 

• RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostUser221, on 11 February 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostYoshi, on 11 February 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

View Poststeven2010, on 11 February 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Hey don't get me wrong, I never said where I stand on what I quoted. I only stated it was convincing since it reminded me that we're not looking at the daughter's perspective of this

I'd like to note that it seems like you didn't counter every point though

With that said I can easily think of a few ways. For one the father implies that his daughter has people she regularly talks to. Whether or not she goes to a public school or not I don't know but if she does go to a public school they could of easily done it without the usage of the Internet (heck they could of just used SMS for all practical purposes). Don't get me wrong if there's something I want to tell me friend I usually do it face to face or over a phone. Of course this assume people are willing to downgrade to something less convenient and more secure. You know how that goes, right?

You didn't answer my "no appropriate measure to vent exists then." statement

Well, aside from "what if" and "assuming" statements, I really have nothing to counter this.

The more and more thought I put into this the closer I got to this realization which I just hit right now.

I'm just about say "forget this" and go back to the stream I'm watching

#10 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Cause you know the only known disciplinary action is public disciplinary action. I don't approve on all of it (this one is fine) I'm pretty sure other parents have their ways with their children...Whether they're 'OK' or not.

#11 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

When he stated that he almost put a bullet through it, I knew it would happen some point in the video, shooting it may be a bit extreme. You could have just sold it.

#12 User is offline   Mabel Pines 

• yam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • jnAccount : awesomemoe

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

OH YES YOU POSTED THIS :D

I'm sort of leaning towards the dad's side of the argument, but less so then I was when I first watched the video. I've grown up in a really spoiled lifestyle. (No chores unless I feel like earning money, my parents do most things for me and usually buy me what I want or help me find ways to earn them, they find jobs for me to apply to, help me with applications, ECT. But then in return I think I'm pretty nice to them. I work hard in all the things I do have to do and I'm nice to them.) So I can't really relate to the girl and how she would feel. I'm Facebook friends with my mom so I wouldn't post anything about them there. If I wasn't I probably still wouldn't post anything about them, because even with blocking them there's other adults I'm friends with who could see it. Without them still doubt I would do this type of thing just because Facebook doesn't seem secret enough. I might post something about them here or on tumblr (if I ever figure out text posts xD ) If they found those I'd probably be grounded and have my computer taken away for a long time. It wouldn't be shot at because my dad doesn't own a gun, but it's pretty practical for them to take it away forever if I'm swearing at them and stuff. (swearing isn't allowed in our house and I never do) I'd be really upset but on their side it probably seems fair. Not doing things is one thing but being disrespectful is a lot more upsetting to adults and people in general.

I'm sure the daughter felt like things weren't fair, and it seems like her parents are pretty strict. It's probably hard to deal with, but at the same time when you've been brought up strictly your whole life it seems like it would become sort of a habit-thing to do chores and things, so it wouldn't seem like you were a slave, just helping to your family. If she doesn't get that everyone has to contribute and it'll be fair that way maybe her parents skipped an important lesson when she was younger. That would be their fault, but it still seems like she should've adjusted.

I wish I could stalk their family and know everything so I could understand it and be fully confident in my judgment. If the dad made it clear that she wasn't the cleaning lady and how important it was due to respect I could see him getting upset. But the girl might've just found it easier to call her the cleaning lady and not bother explaing the situation. We have a cleaning lady, but my mom doesn't let her clean my room unless I already have it somewhat cleaned up. I used to not get why, but my mom explained that I need to have some responsibility too and we need to be respectful and not give her a crazy amount of work or anything. It's sort of weird to me since she works for us, but it makes sense. If he didn't explain then it's their fault.

In theory I agree with the dad, but I'm not really sure. It's hard to make judgments on how families work without being there or knowing everything about the situation.

The girl probably should've found a different way to vent if she needed to do this. (as a bunch of others have said)

#13 User is offline   Nynex 

• (9:56:36 PM) Dave: come on Nynex, back to the bedroom for more
  • Group: Retired Staffers
  • jnAccount : nynex

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

I heard about this earlier today. That was an amazing way to deal with a rebellious teen xD Most teenagers just get all the toys and the parents just keep shoving more toys in front of them letting them have their way because they don't actually want to do any parenting at all. This dad is a hero.
Way too many spoiled kids.

#14 User is offline   Yoshi 

• Yoshi Fanatic

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

The re-action videos of the video are interesting and everytime I see a video from "TheReplyGirl" in which I just skip it XD some people re-acting to it actually make sense while others........just no

#15 User is offline   Catbug 

• sup
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: Tacodog_13
  • jnAccount : Victini

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

I think that the girl's letter just means that she desperately hates her parents and acts likes she wants to be a princess or something.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users