• This topic is locked

Fonts, Glorious Fonts

#1 User is offline   Clouds 

• Oracle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staffers
  • jnAccount : the_cloudy_sky

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

What are your favourite fonts? Where do you get them? Have you made any fonts of your own? (I'd love to make my own fonts, but I've yet to find a suitable free program that works on Windows without compatibility layers.)

Here are some of my favourites:

04b03
BlackJack
Champagne & Limousines
Delicious
Duality
Ernest
Euphorigenic
FairydustB
Janda Snickerdoodle Serif
Jellyka - Estrya's Handwriting
Jellyka - Nathaniel a Mystery
Linux Libertine
Old Newspaper Types
Set Fire to the Rain
Tagettes

All of the fonts I listed above can be downloaded from Dafont.com, except for Delicious, which is available here.

My least favourite fonts? Comic Sans, and any faux Cyrillic font that replaces 'A' with 'Д'. (I'm not quite sure why I downloaded those...)

#2 User is offline   User221 

• I post too much
  • Group: Elite Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

I used to have a nearly 20 year old DOS program that would allow you to make fonts. Too bad I don't remember where it was.

I like Times New Roman. It works.

#3 User is offline   Joey the Jojo 

• STAND PROUD
  • Neopets: krawky398
  • jnAccount : krawky398

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

My favorite fonts...

I guess I really like Arial and Verdana. Nice-looking simple fonts.

Other fonts I like a lot are Earth Momma, which is based off the font in Mother 3, and Saturn Boing(second one on the page), which is based off the font that the Mr. Saturns use in Earthbound. The Wisdom of the World Font on the same page, I also like.

#4 User is offline   Pingu 

• #1 Sci fangirl and Anime addict
  • Neopets: kingubaba
  • jnAccount : pingubaba

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

I have over 2000 fonts, downloaded. My favorite site is dafont.com, mainly because of the easy to use site and good categories.

Favorite fonts would be: Vivaldy, Adorable, Edwardian Script (I just like cursive so much) and Accelerator has such a nice effect. I also like fun rounded fonts like Comic Sans, Arial Rounded and Bauhouse or Bahamas.

I hate overly square fonts but my least favorite is Arial Narrow >_< Yuck! Especially when I see it in logos...it's acceptable if you use it as a text in a narrow space, but not for a header or logo! :nope:

I got a program recently (trial) that lets you make fonts, but you can't save it in trial (boohoo). I'd like the program, it's called High Logic Font Creator. But it's expensive T^T

#5 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

General:
  • Futura
  • Helvetica
  • Traditional serifs
  • Univers
  • Averia
  • Optimus
  • Trajan

Web pages:
  • Arial
  • Georgia
  • Verdana
  • Impact (for headers)
  • Century Gothic
  • Tahoma

Decorative:
  • 04b03
  • Feast of Flesh
  • Chopin Script
  • Hand of Sean
  • Complete in Him
  • Redensek
  • Rage Italic
  • Coolvetica
  • JoystixMonospace

Least Favorite:
  • Comic Sans
  • Papyrus
  • Curlz
  • Anything else overused

Yes, I'm a font nerd. :P

#6 User is offline   Clouds 

• Oracle
  • jnAccount : the_cloudy_sky

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

I'd never heard of Averia. I'm not sure if I like how it looks, but the concept is certainly interesting! Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me after a few uses...

I've preferred Verdana over Arial ever since I was a teeny Clouds. True, Clouds-of-the-past also liked Comic Sans, but in my younger self's defence I didn't know where to download fonts back then. :P

When I was still new to the world of graphics, I'd only use a certain few fonts -- mainly because I was too lazy to discover and download new ones. Two of them were Airstream and Jelly Belly. However, I do not know why I chose those fonts.

#7 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neopets: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostClouds, on 23 February 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

I'd never heard of Averia. I'm not sure if I like how it looks, but the concept is certainly interesting! Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me after a few uses...

I've preferred Verdana over Arial ever since I was a teeny Clouds. True, Clouds-of-the-past also liked Comic Sans, but in my younger self's defence I didn't know where to download fonts back then. :P

When I was still new to the world of graphics, I'd only use a certain few fonts -- mainly because I was too lazy to discover and download new ones. Two of them were Airstream and Jelly Belly. However, I do not know why I chose those fonts.

I use Averia all the time. It's very versatile.

I used to use a lot of ugly "decorative" fonts too. Jokerman and Comic Sans were my friends. *insert gag sound here* Since I've actually read up on fonts, though, I most appreciate the simple, readable, and classic fonts. (Think Johnson, Interstate, Baskerville, etc.) There's so much more math and science involved in making a font than anyone would imagine! As I have heard said, the best fonts are the ones you don't notice; they just let the message they display shine through.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users