JN Boards: Faster Than Light? Or Just A Wobbly Cable? - JN Boards

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Faster Than Light? Or Just A Wobbly Cable? Occam's Razor at work!

#1 User is offline   Noir 

  • JN Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staffers
  • Posts: 213
  • Joined: 15-November 06
  • Neopets: Sonicblade128
  • jnAccount : noirthesable
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Outside the door to my happy place, rifling through my pockets for the keys.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Headline: Faster-than-light neutrino measurement has two possible errors
Date: February 22, 2012
Description: Scientists hypothesize that either an optic cable connecting a GPS unit to a receiver is the cause for a 60-ns discrepancy from the speed of light, or the measurement of the passage of time between the two atomic clocks used in the experiment was probably done incorrectly.
Link: http://blogs.nature....ble-errors.html

Full Story:
Spoiler


So there you go. Either the rules of Einsteinian physics have to be rewritten, or it could have possibly just been a loose cable. What sounds more reasonable?

I mean, I'm not putting off the hypothesis that it was really faster than light just yet -- they still need to run more tests to see what the proper cause was. But when it looks like there's an explanation that doesn't require as many new unproven assumptions...


#2 User is offline   Obama 

  • Majestic Butterfly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Posts: 768
  • Joined: 22-July 10
  • Neopets: shadowaura256
  • jnAccount : shadowaura256
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The end of a rainbow

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the neutrinos are faster than light. They are pretty insane things. *knows a bit about neutrinos*

#3 User is offline   Tycho 

  • you fail to resist my crystalline charm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Posts: 1,072
  • Joined: 31-January 10
  • Neopets: trinston
  • jnAccount : Neotrinston
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:That's So Raven's House

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostShad, on 22 February 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the neutrinos are faster than light. They are pretty insane things. *knows a bit about neutrinos*


Well let's see, when Neutrinos pretty much came from the start of the Universe, it shouldn't be surprising that they're by faster then light.

#4 User is offline   Chev 

  • Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Posts: 788
  • Joined: 22-February 11
  • Neopets: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your attic

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostZhivago, on 23 February 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

View PostShad, on 22 February 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the neutrinos are faster than light. They are pretty insane things. *knows a bit about neutrinos*


Well let's see, when Neutrinos pretty much came from the start of the Universe, it shouldn't be surprising that they're by faster then light.

Depends on what "start of creation" theory you're subscribing to.

But anyway, I thought there was a catch when I heard about the experiment originally. It's going to take a lot to debunk Einstein!

#5 User is offline   Tycho 

  • you fail to resist my crystalline charm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Posts: 1,072
  • Joined: 31-January 10
  • Neopets: trinston
  • jnAccount : Neotrinston
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:That's So Raven's House

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostChev, on 23 February 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostZhivago, on 23 February 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

View PostShad, on 22 February 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the neutrinos are faster than light. They are pretty insane things. *knows a bit about neutrinos*


Well let's see, when Neutrinos pretty much came from the start of the Universe, it shouldn't be surprising that they're by faster then light.

Depends on what "start of creation" theory you're subscribing to.

But anyway, I thought there was a catch when I heard about the experiment originally. It's going to take a lot to debunk Einstein!


Meh, I believe in connection between science and such.

Mmhmm. The only place where Einstein's theory of Relativity is void is in a Black Hole(I.E. Singularity)

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users