• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Item 'est. Value' And 'actual Value'

#1 User is offline   catsandcrossbows 

• JN Devotee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Active Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

Okay, so this may make me look silly. but the Estimated Value of a... Loveberry for example is 16,000np but I can't Auction this Item because it doesn't sell for more than 200np? Why is this?

The total estimated value of all my loose items that I no longer want is well in excess of 200,000np I can't sell these items in my shop, I've tried and on the Trading Post I get really insulting offers.

a tiny piece of insight pie would be nice folks ;3

p.s if i'm in the wrong place please tell me, Newbie here /big neon sign above head/

ImmayInjection.

#2 User is offline   Dream 

• JN Loyalist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Content Writers
  • Neopets: rainbow_daydreamer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

Don't worry about looking silly! We were all new to this once.

The thing to remember is that the Est Value isn't for players like us. It has to do with the way items are brought onto the site in the first place, not how much we should be buying or selling them for. The simplest reason for that is because Est Values don't change in accordance with what's happening elsewhere on the site -- they aren't designed with an idea in mind of how popular items are. (If a war kicks off, for instance, people will be able to sell decent weapons in their shops for more than before, but those weapons' Est Values could well remain exactly the same.)

The auction house is using the actual selling price of the item to determine that it's not worth 200 NP. In the case of a Loveberry, it's an item that can be obtained fairly easily from the Pick Your Own activity, so there isn't much demand for it and consequently the price has gone down. The same probably goes for the items you say you no longer want. People buy from shops and the Trading Post at the cheapest price they can, unless they're in a severe hurry; making Neopoints is work, and you're not going to spend 1,000 NP on a Pyramicake if there's one in another shop for 10 NP. (Most of your unwanted items are probably well under 100k, incidentally, and therefore should be sold in your shop, not on the Trading Post. It's much faster that way.)

Never use the Est Value to figure out how much to ask for an item. Use the Shop Wizard, or if you can't find an item there, try our Item Database, which lists approximate prices. You might also want to read my Neopian Economics 101 article -- it's designed for absolute beginners, but it's also helpful to anyone who needs a quick refresher. ;)

#3 User is offline   catsandcrossbows 

• JN Devotee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Active Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

oh,

I used the est. value to determine that last number on how much my items were worth. that would explain why my stuff isn't selling.

I mean I bought a Koibat Plushie for 23np and its est. value is pretty high so I though I could get away with selling it for just under its est. value.

Also, for a MEGA RARE item the Koibat Plushie is really common, :/

thankyou, ;3

#4 User is offline   Ian 

• My OTPs make me cry on a regular basis.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Item DB Crew
  • jnAccount : ian

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostDream, on 27 February 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

The simplest reason for that is because Est Values never change, whereas the selling price of an item can rise or fall dramatically depending on what's happening elsewhere on the site.

Actually, Est. Values can change. Usually they change more often the lower the rarity of the item is. Values for items r99+ though never change. Values for items r90-98 rarely change. However, those values changing have no effect on the actual sale value of these items, and the value itself is not an indicator of how much an item is worth.

#5 User is offline   Dream 

• JN Loyalist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Content Writers
  • Neopets: rainbow_daydreamer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Huh, so they can change? I actually didn't know that. I've had a fair few items with static (or apparently static) values, and assumed that that was the norm. Thanks for the correction! Still, it's all fairly academic when it comes to actual shop pricing.

#6 User is offline   SciFi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staffers
  • jnAccount : SciFi

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

You probably didn't see any change because TNT went through a period of not altering the Est Value on any items.
This also happened to be the period where they didn't add a lot of announced items.
After they fixed the backlog and got into the habit of trying to do them within a week they moved onto fixing bugs and updating Est. Value again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users