JN Boards: Writing Battle: Unofficial Edition-Battle 2 - JN Boards

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Writing Battle: Unofficial Edition-Battle 2 Brought to you by Vladicus Industries

#1 User is offline   Grue 

• being zoroak is suffering
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • Neopets: benjpalmer2
  • jnAccount : benjpalmer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

THE RULES. YOU MUST READ.
For entrants:
- Do NOT make posts like, "Ooh I'll join!" No reserving spaces. Posts like this will be ignored.
- You are not allowed to advertise your entry in your signature, but you can advertise this topic.
- (Obviously) you are not allowed to bribe other people to vote for you!
- Entries do not necessarily have to be Neopets-related.
- Entries must be 100-500 words unless otherwise specified.
- Please post your entry rather than attaching a file to your post.
- You may NOT edit your entry once you have posted it.
- Please try to spell properly and use correct grammar in your posts.
- Please definitely spell properly and use correct grammar in your stories.

For everyone:
- Stay on topic when talking in this post.
- No extensive criticism. If someone wants an extensive critique of their writing, they can start a thread in the JN Library forum.

Entries close at 10 submissions or on March 18th @ 11:59pm NST, whichever comes first.

---------
Courtesy of Vladicus, here's the second battle!
This time, you need to write a 500-1000 word story, based in either Neopia or JellyNeopia, themed around luck.

#2 User is offline   Herobrine 

• No, no, no ladies and gentlemen this is my fear!
  • Neopets: otterwick

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

The Power of Greed

Tiger, a Halloween Lupe, and Geklots, a Desert Lutari, were chatting. Tiger’s bold red eyes flashed with interest as Geklots explained his experiment that he was going to go through with.
“I am going to do an experiment that tests the logic of Neopets versus if they think they are ‘lucky’. I’ll even be able to make some extra Neopoints out of it if I am careful. I won’t do any cheating at all, it will all be a gamble for them. I am going to test if they logically understand that the odds are against them, or if they believe they are lucky. It will be quite simple, really. I’ll set up several games of chance, chances for the Neopets to gamble their Neopoints away. I want to see if any of them are smart enough to resist the temptation of their supposed ‘luck’ and not play! I am going to record my stats, too, so I’ll show you the data later.” the Desert Lutari’s handsome golden eyes were wide with excitement as he explained his experiment, all the while stirring his coffee. If he was ‘lucky’, Geklots scoffed at the word, he would gain enough money at the festival to even buy a few presents for his family.
“Do you want me to help you set up the stall at the festival, little brother?” Tiger asked with interest, hoping to help out in some way. Tiger and Geklots were very close, they always pulled tons of pranks together. But Geklots had always been intelligent, and he was about to do something rather impressive. Tiger wanted to be part of it in some way, but he could feel that Geklots would want to do this on his own.
Geklots smiled his amazing smile at Tiger, but shook his head. “I’m afraid not, Tiger, I wish to do this on my own. Don’t you worry, though! I will be sure to tell you all about it once I return from my endeavors!”
So after the discussion was finished, Geklots gathered up all the last of his supplies in his suitcase and headed off to the festival. He was unsure about the reasons for the festival, just that he had the potential to learn a great deal and earn a great deal of money.
The festival was crowded with Neopets everywhere. They were chattering and laughing, chasing and giggling! The handsome Desert Lutari felt the urge to run off and join them, but he kept his cool. Several older female Neopets, including a Faerie Draik, stopped to stare at him. Geklots, being a Desert Lutari and all, was rather dashing to them. Geklots could tell that the Faerie Draik was rich and greedy, and he would probably be seeing her at his stall today.
It took Geklots about an hour to get everything set up at his stall, which was a relatively short time. He had several stacks of different amounts of cards, a bunch of dice, several coins, some spinners, and a few bags of marbles. Everything was ready for some games of chance.
As he had predicted, the Faerie Draik arrived at his stall. “Hey there,” she said in a sweet voice, “you’re handsome. What have you got going on here at your stall? They look to be games of some sort, are they not? So what’s the catch to these here games? A cost to play?”
Geklots smiled a beaming smile. “Oh, why these are games of chance, my fair lady! Games of chance, work out your odds if you wish to! There is no fee to play! But if you don’t win, you lose a few Neopoints! If you win, you gain more Neopoints than you could lose! So would you like to play, my dear? What kind of game? Cards? Coins? Dice? Or something else?”
She smiled and considered her options carefully. She figured that the odds of the games were stacked against the player, but she was having a pretty lucky day. After all, she had met this very dashing Lutari! She was having a lucky day, so she would probably win. “Ok, handsome, I’ll play one game with you. Let’s play a game of coins!”
Geklots smiled handsomely and decided what way to play. He decided to flip four coins– a 1 in 256 chance she would win. “Alright, pretty, we’ll flip four coins. You get to choose whether or not you think each one will land on heads or tails! You lose, you give me five hundred Neopoints. You win, you receive five thousand! Wanna figure your chance, or do you think you’ve luck on your side?”
“Oh, my dear boy, I don’t wish to figure my chances! I am having a very lucky day, so I figure I’ll have a go! I’ll say, hmm, heads-heads-tails-heads!” The Faerie Draik said in her majestic voice.
“Alrighty!” Geklots smiled his dashing smile and flipped the first coin. Heads. Then the second. Heads. Then the third. Tails. The Faerie Draik’s eyes were wide now. Finally the fourth. Tails.
“Oh no! I was so close! Here, take the five hundred Neopoints. But I was so close, I think I’ll have a few more go’s!”
She played fourteen more times, and lost each time. Many customers came and went and lost, playing as the Faerie Draik had, compelled on by their love for money. Only one won, but he played many times before he won that one time, so he truly didn’t win anything, just got a portion of his money back.
Geklots felt a little bad, but he knew the Neopets had freely chosen to keep playing when they knew the odds were against them. He came to understand that there was no such thing as luck. It was a fairy-tale created by Neopets living in a fantasy world. And though they had realized there lucky was against them, they had continued to play because of their own selfish greed.

993 words, not including the title.

#3 User is offline   Hayley Williams 

• Yo dawg...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

@Rabies: You might want to fix that ###### to something better. :P

Mine will be coming soon. :)

Edit: Fixed, somehow.

#4 User is offline   Grue 

• being zoroak is suffering
  • Neopets: benjpalmer2
  • jnAccount : benjpalmer

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

We don't seem to be getting entries.
Looks like Rabies wins by default.

#5 User is offline   Herobrine 

• No, no, no ladies and gentlemen this is my fear!
  • Neopets: otterwick

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Aww. Winning by default is totally bogus! Oh well!

#6 User is offline   Floran 

• I post too much

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostZoroark Claus, on 10 March 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Entries close at 10 submissions or on March 18th @ 11:59pm NST, whichever comes first.

Well, if Rabies won before the deadline already, I guess I can't even enter this. Wait until the deadline comes next time.

#7 User is offline   Hayley Williams 

• Yo dawg...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I agree with Vince. Not only am I a procrastinator, and I leave things until the last minute, but I`m also on vacation right now, with family, and don`t have as much time as usual online. At least wait until the deadline, in about 24 hours.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users