JN Boards: Least Favorite Console You've Ever Played? - JN Boards

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Least Favorite Console You've Ever Played?

#1 User is offline   Monobear 

• ding don g that is wrong
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Elite Members
  • jnAccount : mrmilkshakeman

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

There are many terrible and overrated consoles, and I want to know which ones you'd choose! :D

For me, the Atari 5200. Gigantic in size, terrible controller (luckily, you can use a genesis one), and most games were ones on the 2600.

#2 User is offline   Joey the Innovator 

• Man of Destiny
  • Neo Name: krawky398
  • jnAccount : krawky398

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'm not sure about wholeheartedly hating a console, albeit some get on my nerves for little things, like the control schemes of SNES games or the difficulty of emulating the N64 at times.

Y'know, I know I'll be reprimanded for this, but I'm gonna say the Wii.

Before you kill me, the backwards compatibility with Gamecube and the Virtual Console is nice, but even then, it's horribly plagued by a horrible library of shovelware games pushed out by horrid developers in order to make a quick buck off of the motion gimmick. Which leads me to the next point. The motion gimmick. Hate it so much! I shouldn't have to become physically exhausted from a game, for pete's sake! I also play most of my games in my room, which is tiny and the room on front of the TV is taken up by my bed. So I am rendered unable to play some games.

I will give it credit, though. The part of the library that isn't horrible is pretty good(and almost exclusively first-party) and there is the thing where you hold the controller sideways.

But yeah, that's my thoughts.

#3 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I don't encourage COMPLETELY hating a console, too. Unless its...you know....umm....

Spoiler

But anyways, the only motion control games that I love to DEATH are Skyward Sword and the SMG series.

#4 User is offline   Dodger 

• Agents are GO!!
  • Neo Name: dodgerfan28
  • jnAccount : dodgerfan28

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

First of all, rushing to the defense of the Wii.

I've always found it unfair to knock it for the shovelware titles. You don't have to buy them and the Xbox/PS3 have a lot of shovelware too. They just have shovelware in different genres. (*coughFPSescough*) As far as motion controls, very few games have exhausted me. Ever. Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort do if you play them for too long. That's it. Most games (including Wii Sports) can be played sitting down. A lot of games just use the motion controls for one thing, like SMG and the spin jump. There are other things to dislike the system for.

Now, my answer. The PS3. I don't like the controller. It isn't comfortable to hold and the analog sticks have no resistance whatsoever. There are also no games that I want that you can't get on the Xbox also that I want except the Uncharted series and to an extent, Little Big Planet. Not worth getting a costly system to me.

#5 User is offline   Nasa 

• JN Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: nasa_guy1990
  • jnAccount : firestormcan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

@Joey: Unfortunately the developers seem to have carried over that mentality over to the Kinect. Have you seen the new Star Wars game? Good lord, what were they on when putting that together? And don't get me started on the Move.

I will say this though: while most gamers hate motion control, the mainstream crowd loves it since it's encouraging movement in a video game, rather than the stereotypical "couch potato-encouraging" button controller. There are some games that do an excellent job implementing motion control, but for the most part, developers just don't care to make good games anymore. It's like what happened with the NES, people wanted to cash in on the whole video game craze and rushed out games to meet demand, not giving a care for craftsmanship. Here's to hope that the expanded third party support for the Wii U encourages more quality control for developers. Except the non-Lego movie-licensed ones. Those are always terrible.

Now consoles I despise? The PS3. Aside from being bloated with FPS games like the Xbox 360, I had no interest at all because it suffered right at the start poor backwards compatibility with PS2 games, a horrid launch lineup, and a price point that puts it close to Panasonic's 3DO. And as we saw last year, Sony didn't even think to effectively protect their customer's personal info when PSN got hacked. And the Move. Come on, you can't look at that thing and not ask "why'd they stick a ball on a black Wii Remote?" Seriously, there is nothing original about that thing.

The Vita is suffering the same fate against the 3DS. There's only one or two good titles on there, but the launch lineup is once again a bore. At least the 3DS, despite it's poor start, got its triple-A titles not long after launch. I am barely hearing anything about the Vita, it clearly hasn't been able to stand its ground in the handheld market. What makes you think they can catch up to the 3DS' ever-growing dominance in handhelds? I'm sorry, but I think Sony should consider exiting the handheld market if they can't get this thing to sell. They're just trying to hard. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they can the PS4 sometime later.

I don't want to sound mean to Sony fans here, but I have never been convinced by Sony's consoles at all over the Wii. And with all these business decisions that make me want to facepalm, I never will. If you enjoy the PlayStation family, that's fine, you can enjoy the consoles and games you want. I won't hold it against you. Just ask yourself: is Sony doing the right thing with their brand? Or is there something they need to address to keep it alive and well?

EDIT: I should mention that the only consoles I've played on were the SNES, the N64, and the Wii. And I enjoyed what I played on them. It's just that calling out hate on the PC would be unfair, 'each though each OS I've used, it's had its share of good and bad games that I've played. I just wanted to share my thoughts on why I'm never buying a PS3. Though I will say that the worst game I've played on PC was Backyard Football 2006. That was the game that made me leave the Backyard Sport series. Screw you, Atari.

#6 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

The Wii is like the NES in many ways. OODLES of 3rd party games, most aren't good.

And I agree, the ps3 controller is bad, but I hate the Xbox 360 controller the most. My fingers feel too far up on it! The most comfortable for me are the GC wavebirds and the N64 controller (shockingly).

#7 User is offline   Haduo Oni 

• Boo.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: shoyruhadouken
  • jnAccount : thev2

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm not used to the Wii controller, in all honesty ...

#8 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

I like the wii controller, but prefer using the classic one instead. Using it vertically is a pain, but horizontally is like a thin NES controller.

#9 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostTotoro, on 16 April 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

The Wii is like the NES in many ways. OODLES of 3rd party games, most aren't good.

And I agree, the ps3 controller is bad, but I hate the Xbox 360 controller the most. My fingers feel too far up on it! The most comfortable for me are the GC wavebirds and the N64 controller (shockingly).

But the NES had lots of great 1st-party games. I have an NES, and I love it. Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid..... And some of the 3rd-party ones were good too, like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania.

And I feel the same way about the Wii. It's unfair to judge a console by how bad the worst games are. The best ones are Mario, Kirby, Zelda.... oh wait...

View PostTotoro, on 15 April 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I don't encourage COMPLETELY hating a console, too. Unless its...you know....umm....

Spoiler

But anyways, the only motion control games that I love to DEATH are Skyward Sword and the SMG series.

Wait, have you ever played a CDi? I've heard it's not great, but it's not that horrid either. NOTHING is ever going to be able to compete with the Nintendo-made (or at least published) Zelda titles, which typically get at least 85/100% ratings.

Anyway, I've only played on Atari-2600, NES, Wii, and PC, and I like them all. The controllers on the Atari-2600 are REALLY annoying, though. They're very unresponsive glitchy. The paddles work best, and thankfully must be used with Break-Out and Pong.

#10 User is offline   Haduo Oni 

• Boo.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: shoyruhadouken
  • jnAccount : thev2

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, using the Wii controller vertically is more of a pain for me, but it's fine sideways.

#11 User is offline   Nasa 

• JN Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: nasa_guy1990
  • jnAccount : firestormcan

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostImpassableChev, on 17 April 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Wait, have you ever played a CDi? I've heard it's not great, but it's not that horrid either. NOTHING is ever going to be able to compete with the Nintendo-made (or at least published) Zelda titles, which typically get at least 85/100% ratings.

Anyway, I've only played on Atari-2600, NES, Wii, and PC, and I like them all. The controllers on the Atari-2600 are REALLY annoying, though. They're very unresponsive glitchy. The paddles work best, and thankfully must be used with Break-Out and Pong.

Dude, the CDi's library is chock-full of point and click games (including, to my surprise, some from Humongous Entertainment). And what little action games they had were god-awful, not just in how much they make you want spew from their cheesiness, but poor design and gameplay. Add to that the fact that the wireless controller was poorly conceived, the player 1 port was on the back of the console, and the original model was the size of a VCR, if not bigger. That thing was a failure for a reason, and it was because Phillips had no idea what they were doing. Same with Panasonic and the 3DO, except it had actually some good games on there. Don't take my word for it, though. Just look it up and you'll see.

As for the 2600 controllers, I'd say that's age doing its dirty work. Thankfully if you have a Sega Genesis controller, you can play it. The controller plugs are the exact same, so they fit perfectly. Can't say the same for the 5200, though.

#12 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

Yes, I have, and have you ever SEEN those cutscenes and experienced the gameplay in the Zelda games for it? *shudders*

#13 User is offline   Chev 

• Your average nerd… from space!™
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Neo Name: chevrolette__xx
  • jnAccount : Chev

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostTotoro, on 18 April 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

Yes, I have, and have you ever SEEN those cutscenes and experienced the gameplay in the Zelda games for it? *shudders*

I'm jealous. D: But anyway, everything I've seen from the Zelda CDi games looks pretty bad... I just get tired of people flaming the games, that's all. Some of the music was pretty good, however.

And thanks for the controller info, Nasa. I would never have guessed. :)

#14 User is offline   Monobear 

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

It WAS decent music. But it wasn't amazing. And the graphics were....not that good, but not horrible. At least the sprites. The FMV is scary. :o

I forgot to mention, the Dreamcast is another console I'll never understand. One thing in particular that annoys me is...

WHEN PEOPLE SAY ITS UNDERRATED! How in the WORLD is it underrated if tons of people rant and rave about it? Seriously, not ONE negative or SLIGHTLY negative review here: http://www.gamefaqs....eamcast/reviews It doesn't have many good games (Space Channel 5 and Marvel vs. Capcom are exceptions) and it stops reading disks in a year. I've played it for myself and the controller is fussy and my cousin had to wait SEVERAL minutes for it to heat up and read a game. Sometimes it wouldn't read it after that!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users