• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 ReganMacneilTheZombie

ReganMacneilTheZombie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Yes. Back in 1999-2000, when Neopets was first launched, it was created for bored college students on campus who missed being able to have a pet. And yet I can't say what I said about Chocolate pets without getting silenced?

#2 Cronus Ampora

Cronus Ampora

JN Loyalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Neopets: catglove
  • jnAccount : catglove

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

The key word is 'was'. Yes, back in the day you could talk about how hot Linda Blair is, your political beliefs, et cetera. That changed when kids started joining up. They had to make it a family-friendly wesbite. If Neopets is too G-rated for you, try the Neotag on Tumblr.

#3 ReganMacneilTheZombie

ReganMacneilTheZombie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

The key word is 'was'. Yes, back in the day you could talk about how hot Linda Blair is, your political beliefs, et cetera. That changed when kids started joining up. They had to make it a family-friendly wesbite. If Neopets is too G-rated for you, try the Neotag on Tumblr.

I wish Neopets was still like this so I mention Linda Blair and the edibility of Chocolate pets. TNT restricts everything too much now. Neopets is fun, its just that TNT tied our leashes too tight.

#4 Anak

Anak

we spent life inside of our heads

• Elite Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I wish Neopets was still like this so I mention Linda Blair and the edibility of Chocolate pets. TNT restricts everything too much now. Neopets is fun, its just that TNT tied our leashes too tight.

No, not really.
TNT can be very strict sometimes, but really, if you follow the rules, they're great. They just don't like rulebreakers.

#5 ReganMacneilTheZombie

ReganMacneilTheZombie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

No, not really.
TNT can be very strict sometimes, but really, if you follow the rules, they're great. They just don't like rulebreakers.

Is that why they're so quick to freeze?

#6 CatherineB

CatherineB

JN Loyalist

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Neopets: kittybrod308

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I personally like that if I go to the boards I don't have to scroll past dozens of topics about the 'hotness' of various people or wade through tons of political 'debates' (I use the polite term for knock down, drag out screaming matches) or any of the other 'adult' topics that people would talk about. I go to neopets to play neopets, not to be constantly reminded of real life issues. When I come on JN, I know that there are areas where real life issues and discussions are welcome, and if I am looking for those, I go to those areas.

As for TNT restricting too much, since they have children under 13 on the site, there are certain rules they must follow and in order to prevent parents from getting upset about something their child sees, other rules that they implement to protect their rears. With people suiing over just about anything (though it is getting better) I know that I would rather be on the over protective side than have to pay legal fees over a frivolous law suit due to a child seeing talk about chocolate pets being eaten and then getting upset about their own chocolate pet or anything else.

As I know people have said, there are many places that you can go and talk about 'adult' neopet topics. The Neoboards on Neopets is not one of those places. While TNT could conceivably (I spelled that right first try? doesn't look it though) create a board where only adults could go, they couldn't be sure that someone could lie about their age and get access to it long before they should be able to. I mean, it isn't like anyone lies about their birthday/age on neopets, Right?

#7 ReganMacneilTheZombie

ReganMacneilTheZombie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

[quote name='CatherineB' timestamp='1397272606' post='1131381']
I personally like that if I go to the boards I don't have to scroll past dozens of topics about the 'hotness' of various people or wade through tons of political 'debates' (I use the polite term for knock down, drag out screaming matches) or any of the other 'adult' topics that people would talk about. I go to neopets to play neopets, not to be constantly reminded of real life issues. When I come on JN, I know that there are areas where real life issues and discussions are welcome, and if I am looking for those, I go to those areas.

As for TNT restricting too much, since they have children under 13 on the site, there are certain rules they must follow and in order to prevent parents from getting upset about something their child sees, other rules that they implement to protect their rears. With people suiing over just about anything (though it is getting better) I know that I would rather be on the over protective side than have to pay legal fees over a frivolous law suit due to a child seeing talk about chocolate pets being eaten and then getting upset about their own chocolate pet or anything else.

As I know people have said, there are many places that you can go and talk about 'adult' neopet topics. The Neoboards on Neopets is not one of those places. While TNT could conceivably (I spelled that right first try? doesn't look it though) create a board where only adults could go, they couldn't be sure that someone could lie about their age and get access to it long before they should be able to. I mean, it isn't like anyone lies about their birthday/age on neopets, Right?
[/

But what would be worse, paying fees over a child thinking they're Chocolate pet is gonna get eaten or them finding out that was a metaphor and deciphering it?

Edited by ReganMacneilTheZombie, 11 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#8 Ummy

Ummy

JN Loyalist

• Item DB Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Twitter:NeoUmmy
  • Neopets: ummagine3284
  • jnAccount : ummy

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Parents play Neopets. Parents are smart. If they can see innuendo getting past the filters, then to them Neopets isn't doing their job. Parents trust that Neopets will protect their kids while they are on their site.

#9 DeEtte

DeEtte

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

I remember back in the day when I was 9 (circa 2001) I joined Neopets and my parents allowed my sister and I to play because it was a virtual pets web site, not a chat room (NEVER ALLOWED!) but we weren't allowed to post on the Neoboards (sometimes we did anyway, but I remember sometimes people were really nasty to kids for no reason so we tended to stay away...it's much improved). I like that they try their best to keep it uncontroversial and clean. People of all ages can come together and enjoy taking care of these adorable pets. I'm glad it hasn't changed much besides the graphics. I do miss the choice of faerie quests though...

#10 ReganMacneilTheZombie

ReganMacneilTheZombie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

I remember back in the day when I was 9 (circa 2001) I joined Neopets and my parents allowed my sister and I to play because it was a virtual pets web site, not a chat room (NEVER ALLOWED!) but we weren't allowed to post on the Neoboards (sometimes we did anyway, but I remember sometimes people were really nasty to kids for no reason so we tended to stay away...it's much improved). I like that they try their best to keep it uncontroversial and clean. People of all ages can come together and enjoy taking care of these adorable pets. I'm glad it hasn't changed much besides the graphics. I do miss the choice of faerie quests though...

Yeah, but isn't it annoying when your board gets deleted for no reason? No warning, explanation, nothing?

#11 Skylar

Skylar

Little Skylark

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

It's just standard procedure to erase the board/recent posts of people that they feel have violated the rules.

If you don't want your posts deleted, it's as simple 1.) being appropriate on the Neoboards and 2.) not trying to get around the filters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users